Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What's in a Name


Rock Out or Motörizer

Like a fine wine, this trio gets better with age. Oh blow it out your as#... this is Motörhead we're talking about. The new album/CD "Motörizer" has been out for almost a year. It was released on August 26, 2008 under the label SPV and was produced by Motörhead & Cameron Webb.


After listening to the eleven mind-numbing tracks (transferred to my iPod as well, 'cause I can't get enough Motörhead), I will simply say that this disc is rock & roll the way it should be played!

With driving riffs and raw speed, "Rock Out" is 2:10 of speaker pounding, jaw rattling 'back to the basics' Motörhead. It, in my humble opinion, is the best track on the disc. "Runaround Man" gets my vote as a close second. And the more I listen the more I like 'English Rose' & 'Tech You How to Sing The Blues' (and I can't forget 'The Thousand Names of God')

Their 24th album/CD is the follow-up to 2006's "Kiss of Death". It was recorded at FOO FIGHTERS front man and former NIRVANA drummer, Dave Grohl's Studio in Los Angeles, California.

Why do I like it so much? Well it's simple, it sounds like Motörhead from days gone by... full speed ahead, right out of the gates. Mikkey Dee is pure! Like a twelve cylinder high performance Ferrari, speeding down the autobahn at breakneck speed. Phil Campbell seems to get better with every riff, with every strum of the strings. As for Lemmy, he's never sounded better and his lyrics are, as always, underrated but yet brilliant at times.

Which brings me to the reason I'm penning this post. What's with the name "Motörizer". I don't get it. I'm of the opinion this album/CD ranks right up there with some of their best. And those three of four album/CD's, were named after one of the tracks.

Example:



"Ace of Spades"



"Over Kill"



"Iron Fist"



"Bomber"

Need I say more.

Hey, don't get me wrong "Motörizer" sounds pretty cool. It congers up the image of some kind of mechanical Snaggletöoth beast, ready to pounce on it's unsuspecting prey. Instead the cover is a coat of arms, a shield and a sword... what the f*% is that?!?! If it's Lemmy's family crest, my sincerest and deepest apologies. I mean no offence.

I mean, if you're going to design a cover & title that speaks to the bands legion of loyal & devoted followers, I think "Rock Out" or even the 6th track "Burned Alive" would've been a better choice as a title.

At least Snaggletöoth was on the cover, albeit in one quarter of the shield.

Hey... that's just one mans opinion and to be honest, I don't think Lemmy give a rat's as# about a silly album cover and title. Just pour the man another Jack & Coke, let him play some one armed bandits and he's happy!

Ace ♠

No comments: