Transformation Page #6
Painting the front lower legs
We had an unexpected spring snow storm and that put the brakes on my riding for the weekend. I decided if I'm not going to ride, I might as well wrench. The one project I didn't get to this winter... painting the lower front fork legs.
So... up on the lift she goes.
First, I removed the caliper. I put a piece of folded cardboard between the pads to keep them apart.
I wrapped a bungee around the caliper and hooked it between the trees so it won't hang from the brake line and it'll stay out of the way.
I removed the axle nut and the axle retaining pinch nut.
Didn't I just have this tire off?
Crap, the axle fell on the floor. I'll have to clean it (I was going to anyway - as well as the spacer) & add a grease skim coat before I put it back in.
Yup, this is the part that sucks, taping and sanding. By the way... I decided NOT to remove the legs from the bike and just wrap the sucker up with tarps.
Yeah, not the best way to go about it but save it, because I don't care! I just want to get 'em painted and get riding!
Hey, it's my old friends... Mr. green tape & the rattle cans.
The primer has been laid down, time to dry.
So far... so good.
A couple of dead soldiers, so it's back to the hardware store for more.
More dry time (two more coats and some clear) and we're almost done.
Let's button this puppy back together (I didn't think you would need a reverse sequence of what I just did).
However, you should know I did take my time (my twelve year old daughter helped out) inserting the wheel between the fork legs, because I didn't want to scratch my new paint job.
Nice! Now she's just a little more sinister.
I'll add another post with more snaps of the bike and it's new legs, for now it's "Back to the Funny Farm"!