Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Time For A New Skull Cap

Well, well, well it appears my helmet is NOT approved by the Department of Transportation (DOT FMVSS 218) or by the police officer who took note of my head gear.

.
I was in the parking lot of a near-by strip mall when a patrol officer pulled up beside me.

As I was putting on my lid, he rolled down his window and asked if I knew my helmet was illegal? I casually said no, I believe it's DOT approved.

He then proceeded to explain to me why it was not.


.
From the inadequate straps and buckles, to the thin inner lining and finally the fact it is plastic and not made of a more resistant material.
.
He was actually a nice guy and didn't even give me a ticket... but instead he and his partner gave me a ride home so I could grab another helmet and proceed with my trip.
.
.
I bought it off of Egay and didn't think I'd ever be questioned as to whether or not it was legit! I guess I was wrong.
.
.
I know, I know... they have to go through some rigorous kinda' testing. Testing schmesting! I mean really, if granny 'doesn't see you' and cuts you off or goes through a red light... you're as good as dead.


There's not a... well insulated absorbent interior lining properly sized approved chin strap with stainless steel 'D' rings DOT/CSA approved helmet, gonna' save your a$$, period!



Am I mad or bitter... no. Hey I didn't get a ticket ($130 fine). I'm gonna buy another hawk/polo style helmet but this time I'm gonna make sure it's really, DOT approved.
Maybe I'll buy one of these. Check it out, they belong to some kind of scooter club.
.










.
.

I'm diggn' their melon helmets. But hey, no DOT sticker. Sticker? We don't got no sticker! We don't have to show you no stinkn'... sticker!
.
.
Wow... seek and ye shall find. A combination of both a Dot approved helmet and a melon design! I wonder if their available in a seedless style.
.
Ace ♠

2 comments:

Rob said...

If the police paid more attention to teenagers/adults Texting while in cages then maybe more lives would be saved.

Ace said...

No kidding Rob! My wife was in an accident (rear end clipped) and the woman was either texting or on the phone. She wouldn't come clean, but the cop figured it was texting.